Under the umbrella of their new sub-brand SmartLiving, Smart Centres REIT has begun the redevelopment of their Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (VMC) properties into the SmartVMC master plan community. As part of the project, they intend to redevelop their existing retail properties into walkable and transit-friendly neighborhoods.
SmartVMC Master Plan: Project Profile
The SmartVMC community comprises of 100 acres of land. Highway 7 is the main east-west thoroughfare, with Jane Street and Highway 400 running on either side. Smart Centres’ master-planned community will be the core of the larger VMC district, and will be home to the majority of its public spaces & transport hubs. Numerous amenities have been added, in order to create a more livable environment:
- A 9-acre park designed by Claude Cormier will serve as the neighborhood’s focal point.
- The outdoor public space known as Transit Square, which has been designed to host gatherings, concerts & other events.
- A new YMCA
- Daycare facilites and an aquatic centre
- A 26,000 sq.ft creative zone and learning hub.
- The Vaughan Public Library system will be building a new 10,000 square foot branch in the community.
- Transit City Condos – Developed in partnership with CentreCourt Inc., Transit City is the first phase of SmartVMC Condos to be completed. The complex’s first three buildings were completed in 2020, with towers 4 & 5 on track for a 2023 occupancy date. Additionally, a selection of townhomes are slated to be ready in 2021.
- 175 Millway Condos – Located on the eastern edge of the development site (closer to Jane Street), 175 Millway will rise to a height of 64 storeys and include 798 residential units. The building is slated to feature a distinctive architectural design, and will be just across the street from the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre subway station.
- Artwalk Condos – Planned to consist of three buildings (with heights of 38, 18 and 6 storeys, respectively) and a total of 624 housing units. Artwalk will sit on the former Wal-Mart site, and will be just steps away from the subway station.
The Neighborhood & Its Features
Given the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre area’s long history as an industrial district, SmartLiving will be developing a large portion of VMC’s amenities and features as part of the SmartVMC community. A range of big-box stores (most notably IKEA, Home Depot and Costco) are located in the vicinity, along with numerous grocery stores. Vaughan Mills and Canada’s Wonderland are a short drive or bus ride to the north, while York University and Seneca College are readily accessible to the south. In terms of transit, the extension of Line 1 Yonge-University to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre subway station is arguably what has made SmartVMC possible. From this brand-new station, residents can reach York University, Yorkdale Shopping Centre, the University of Toronto and the Financial District via a one-seat subway ride. A host of York Region Transit and GO Transit services can also be easily reached, while drivers can take advantage of Highways 400 & 407 being just minutes away.
Register here to receive the prices, floorplans and brochures as they become available.
*PLATINUM INSIDER ACCESS Registration is not intended to be used by REALTORS or Buyers under contract with REALTORS*
You can withdraw your consent to receive communications at any time.
You may register by sending us your Full Name, Telephone Number and Project of Interest to email@example.com or by calling us at 416-233-4913.
If you would still like to register on our site directly, please open our site in a different browser.